Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Don't overlook this recipe if you don't like Brussels Sprouts!
I don't like Brussels sprouts. I mean, I used to not like them before Richard introduced me to this recipe (from allrecipes.com). He even had to make it a few times and rave about it before I would really give it a chance. Now I am thoroughly addicted. I'm serious! This is so yummy! Now you need some more convincing, so I'll tell you that Brussels sprouts are a cabbage. You like cabbage okay don't you? And they are the fifth most nutrient-dense-per-calorie vegetables you can eat: meaning you will boost your nutrition through the roof if you eat these! Now go buy some and try it!


1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the ends off of the sprouts. Remove yellow leaves and cut them in half. Quarter them if they are large. Place Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a bowl and toss until well mixed. Pour onto a baking sheet, shake to spread evenly and place on center oven rack. Roast in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes, shaking pan every 10 to 15 minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown when done. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment