Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Cabbage and Sausage Soup


So I had some cabbage to use up and found this recipe online. Tons of veggies, so I had little faith that my girls would eat it. They love sausage though, so I called it sausage stew and they loved it! Both of them ate the entire bowl for dinner and again for lunch 2 days later. Awesome! I do love a good bowl of soup/stew on a winter day. I used Jimmy Dean reduced fat sausage instead of the links and Better than Bouillon paste (from costco) instead of the cubes.

Cabbage and Smoked Sausage Soup
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
Servings: 8

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
4 cups chicken broth
1 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
3 carrots, sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1 (15 ounce) can red beans, with liquid
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 teaspoons (or 2 cubes) beef bouillon
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil

Cook the onion, garlic, and sausage in a skillet over medium heat until lightly browned. Transfer to a crock pot. Pour in broth. Mix in cabbage, carrots, celery, rice, beans, tomato sauce, and crushed tomatoes. Add remaining seasonings. Bring to a boil. Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-7 hours. (Until vegetables are tender and rice is cooked.)


No comments:

Post a Comment